7 April 1976

 Benghazi Univ    Dabboub      Makhloof     al-Nwairi    Tripoli Univ

On 5 April 1976 Col Mu'ammar al-Qadhafi attended a political gathering in the town of Solouq where he called on those in attendance to excercise their power and authority to control the universities. The idea was that those in attendance were to march to the universities and get rid of the anti-Qadhafi's student activists who in January 1976 lead the student uprising in Benghazi and Tripoli and continued to pressure the government for independendt student unions and for more political and social democratic freedoms, but those in attendance refused to attack the schools.
Next day [ 6 April 1976 ] Maj Abdulsalam Jalloud attended a student gathering in University of Tripoli where he tore down student wall newspapers and asked the pro-government students to take control of the university and get rid of all anti-government students, the list of students to be banned from attending University of Tripoli contained 40 students but the other students refused to let Jalloud and his followers arrest them that day without a fight, same day [ 6 April 1976 ] security forces in Benghazi attacked University of Benghazi and arrested those wanted by the government and sent them to prison where they were tortured severely. Some of those who arrested in Benghazi were not students but they participated one way or another in the student uprising when the students demonstrated in the streets of Benghazi, also some of those arrested were University professors, writers and workers.
Next day [ 7 April 1976 ] University of Tripoli was filled with high school and technical institutions students who were brought by authorities in buses to help fighting the student movement in the University. First, both sides argued and exchanged ideas and thoughts, then they started throwing stones at each other in a fight that continued for hours. One side was shouting [Libya Libya Libya] and the other side was shouting [al-Fatih al-Fatih al-Fatih, that is the day of the revolution.] At the end of that day hundreds of students were arrested and sent to prison, most of them spent two weeks there, others stayed in prison for a year. Many students in Tripoli and Benghazi were banned from attending or even getting near any educational institution in Libya.
The first Revolutionary Committee "al-Lajna al-Thawria al-Markaziya in University of Tripoli" was established in those days of April 1976 and then the committees spread to other institutions.
The students and others who were arrested on 7 April 1976 spent about a year in "Ajdaida Prison" in al-Fornag near Tripoli. When they freed they could not continue their education due to a decision by the Central Revolutionary Committee so they started looking for jobs and they started working in different places, most of them chose to work in the Sahara Desert, mainly in al-Kufra and al-Serrir Agriculture Projects.
In April 1977 most of those students were rearrested again for no apparent reason and reretried in front of a Military Court where most of them sentenced to Life in prison, others sentenced for 15 years and two of them Omar Dabboub [pictured above] and Mohammed Ben Saud were sentenced to death and the two were hanged in public in Benghazi, the hanging was shown on Libyan Television. Other students were killed later, among them Mustafa al-Nwairi and Ahmad Makhloof [pictured above.]
To send comments, please click here: dribrahim@earthlink.net
Back to: Libya: Our Home